4.17.2009

Pizza Rustica

I love making pizza on the weekends when i'm being lazy and I want a quick dinner, and this is a tried-and-true recipe that my apartment-visitors inhale quite often.

Ingredients:
1 pre-made pizza dough (for two)

5-6 oz. of fresh mozzarella
7-8 tablespoons sundried tomato pesto (recipe follows)
15 large leaves of fresh basil, torn
About a handful of pine nuts
Freshly shaved parmesean
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

First, start off with your dough in a baking pan, with your oven preheated to 375 F. I like to use a pre-made dough, since I don’t have time to make dough on my own. The Central Market by my house sells rich, whole-wheat thick pizzas for 99 cents, and they’re aready pre-baked a little, so it saves me time. First, spread your tomato pesto over the pizza, using the back of the tablespoon you’re measuring with as a make-shift spatula (this saves time on dishwashing). Next, break apart the fresh mozzarella with your fingers and sprinkle bite size pieces around the pizza- don’t crowd the pieces, since they will melt a lot. Next, take your basil leaves and tear the leaves into halves or thirds. Damaging the leaves ensures that you release the oils and aroma of the basil, giving you more flavor than you’d have if you simply lay the leaves atop the pizza. Now, sprinkle pine nuts and parmesean evenly over the pizza. I like to use a handful of each, but that all depends on how big your hands are or what your tastebuds prefer. Top it off with a drizzle of olive oil- don’t put too much, the cheese will create enough oil. Also, if you’d like to top it with some sausage or any other ingredients, do so now. I like to use Applewood Farm’s (because it’s organic and gluten-free) chicken-&-sage breakfast sausage, halfway cooked and chopped on top of my pizza.


Sundried tomato pesto:
Any pesto can be done perfectly by remembering the ratio 4:1:1:1, that is, 4 parts fresh herbs to 1 part nuts, 1 part garlic, and 1 part extra virgin olive oil. For this pesto, I use 2 cups sundried tomatoes with ½ cup pine nuts, ½ cup garlic, and ½ cup oil. Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. I’ve found that it keeps in the fridge for up to a week, and I also spread it on sandwiches, or stir it into vegetables when i’m roasting them (any pesto is excellent over fingerling potatoes).