2.08.2009

Italian Day, 2009

Mikey Napodino, my dear friend Hillary's boyfriend of a year now, has been throwing Italian day celebrations for more than a decade. It's basically a day-long feast of amazing italian food, the Godfather triology, and doo wop music courtesy of the band boys who make up the Fabulous Harmonaires. This year, it was at Scotty's little house off Greenville, where about 30+ people showed up to drink Italian red wine and get stuffed with chicken parmesean, chicken marsala, scallops diablo, portobello ravioli, homeade pasta, fresh garlic, sweet basil, and olive oil dipping sauce for the just-baked tomato foccacia... i'm drooling again thinking about it, my gosh. Here's a rough summary:

Noon-2:00 PM: the boys prepare food; first bottle of wine is opened.

2-4:00 PM: Late lunch, Hillary arrives/the tri-fecta is reunited; third bottle of wine is opened.

4-7:00 PM: Stuffed from italian food, shenanigans, party crowd reaches 35+ people, Mikey turns on A Bronx Tale; fifth bottle of wine is opened.

7-10:00 PM: Doo wopping out on the porch with the band boys, being goofballs, shit I missed Hillary and Charles so much; seventh bottle of wine is opened.

10:00-11:00 PM: strolling down Greenville to the liquor store for whiskey.

11:00 PM-1:00 AM: Accordion playing and doo wop harmonizing, my throat is still sore from singing for hours; whiskey has replaced wine.

1-3:00 AM: The tri-fecta wrestles in the backyard, I throw dirt on Charles, Hillary bodyslams me, we come back into the kitchen filthy and yelling to snack on portobello ravioli in alfredo sauce, I count eleven empty bottles of vino in the kitchen, some guy on the front porch hears me singing and asks me to join his Neil Diamond cover band... six times. We all go home and pass out.

Currently listening to: "Mack the Knife" by Louis Armstrong... what did you expect?

1 comment:

cassandreamy said...

Haha, I just saw your comment about my use of the word "shit." Well, we saw Yo! Majesty at our local dance night! I got some business cards?! It was an insane night. Also - my favorite karaoke song is "Bills" by Destiny's Child or a Beach Boys song.