2.12.2009

Hate/Love

I know it's awfully lame, and I really hate to mush on you all, but i'm excited about having dinner with Mike on Saturday. Not excited because it's Valentine's day*, but moreso because it gives us an excuse to relax away from our busy schedules.

*For the past, I don't know, five years, when Valentine's rolls around, my opinionated-easily-offended-by-sexist-propaganda-side comes out...even more than usual. I definitely have my own thoughts on how corrupted this holiday is. I feel like the whole advertising industry is catering to morons who have girlfriends that overemphasize a completely fabricated holiday and need gift ideas to fool her into thinking they've snagged a winner for another year. One hideous example of this is an advert Mike and I saw on TV last night for "Vermont Teddy Bear Company".


I don't know if it's the squealing, cleavage-baring women that gets to me, or the line "where can I get a boyfriend like that?!" Ugh.

I was so livid at the TV (reason #41 I choose not to own one) I grouched for a solid five minutes after it was over and the Daily Show had already started. Mike's response to the whole nasty showdown: "i've got a bunch of masked bears to return". I bet it's antagonizing to be the boyfriend of a feminist, but he's such a champ.

Side note: I just ate an amazing cinnamon roll out of a batch I baked earlier that has been cooling in my kitchen for the past half hour now. Amazing. I got the recipe from this lady, who is spontaneous cook extraordinaire and has a wonderful blog that's especially yummy to read for kitchen geeks like myself. Mike's best friend Freddy is going to cook us a dinner this weekend (I think), and i'm going to be bringing a cherry custard i'll make tomorrow morning.

I just had another cinnamon roll. Oof.

Currently listening to: "Marmalade Fires" by Múm

Disquietingly yours,
Amanda

P.S. I'll be happy if Mike agrees throwing down for Blue Fish sushi is a good idea for dinner. I dream about the tuna rolls and crab cakes there...

No comments: