1.13.2009

Christmas is January 12th

Last year and this year, Mike & I decided to exchange presents after Christmas because we couldn't be together. Last year, we did it on New Years, but last night was the first time we'd seen each other in three weeks, so January 12th was full of holiday cheer as we drove back from Houston to Dallas on I-45.

We curled up in front of the TV & exchanged presents: I hand-made a christmas card for Mike, and gave him a live Don Ellis record, some cassette tapes and another recorder for his solo performance pieces, a book full of letters written by Groucho Marx that I wanted to keep for myself, and a big tupperware container full of homemade chocolate candies and butter cookies I whipped up a couple days ago. Mike got me a book of Nan Goldin's photography, since the work I/we want to do this semester is inspired a lot by her, and... a limited edition CocoRosie record. So, after a little pause, holding the lovely screen-printed vinyl, I dumbly ask Mike,

"What am I going to play this on?"

And he tells me to keep looking through the book, and I find an Ebay receipt for a vintage 1970s turntable- all white, with the receiver and the speakers already in there. It hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I can't wait. I squealed a lot, and we exchanged lots of sappy hugs. Finally- I have a turntable. Which means I have a lot of catching up to do on my vinyl collection, kids!

Merry Christmas again!
Love,
Amanda

Currently listening to: "Beg Waves" by Ponytail

Mike's fancy christmas card to me.

2 comments:

cassandreamy said...

Aw, what nice presents! Oh and I have a blog too! I don't intend to write a lot of words on it anymore but I'll still post other things!

sandreamy.tumlr.com

cassandreamy said...

I think I gave you a bad link...

sandreamy.TUMBLR.com
there you go!