12.20.2008

The luckiest little gal of them all

I've several things to be joyful about this season, in fact, i've actually had to start a little list. Really, guys. Bear with me.

1. I started working out three times a week again. Like, woah. Energy.

2. I have been spending so much time hand-making christmas cards this season. A lot more than in 2007, when I really didn't send out as many as I hoped to, and ran out of time. But this year i've immersed myself in it. I do love it, because I feel like sending something tactile to my dear friends means a lot more than an email or even a phone call. Phone calls are nice, don't get me wrong, but i'm a sucker for snail mail. And I just got new ink for my calligraphy pen, and I found some old 1970s textbooks at a garage sale that i've been cutting up for collage-making. They are
so cool, guys.

3. Speaking of keeping my hands busy, i've been sewing! I don't get to sew as often as i'd like since I got into college, but I get a chance to embroider a pillow or hem a dress every now and then. I'm making my own christmas stocking out of velvet, and handmade sequined appliques. I'll have to upload some more photos soon, because it's really coming along well. It's a tradition in my stepmother's family, and she always wanted a daughter to teach the technique the women in her family have used for four generations, so she's taught me, making me the fifth generation. It's a really cool process, and i'm sewing on a little handmade camera, and holly berries, and a violin, a bike, etc. etc. You'll see.

4. I uploaded a bunch of old pictures that my opa, my mother's father, gave me of her. Most of them are from their trip to Europe in 1971, when my mom was 18, but there's so many of those left to scan. However, he did include some of her with me, as a baby.

Seriously, mom. You're a babe.

Oh my gosh. Am I eating a stuffed animal? I'm so glad I dropped that habit.

5. I get to cook so much when i'm at home. I made a batch of delicate fall-apart-in-your-mouth butter cookies that my family and friends have been eating non-stop for the past four days. They're already 2/3 done, and I made four dozen cookies, which means... I get to make another batch soon! I made pears poached with a whole orange, honey, cinnamon sticks, and ground nutmeg atop of frozen yogurt last night. It was, needless to say, amazing.

How can you not dig poached pears? What is wrong with you people?

But despite all this, Houston has not impressed me yet. Probably because I haven't spent a full day wandering around the museum district, or gone down 19th street for vintage shopping, or perused Montrose with my cameras. Also, I am a colossal sap: I miss Mike. Although, at least i've got a replacement snuggler. My dear furry pup, Gus. He is lying next to my bed right now, in the guest room, yawning and poking his head up at me occasionally, wondering what i'm up to typing away at this hour.

I think it's time for the both of us to get some sleep.

Currently listening to: "Bag of Hammers" by Thao & the Get Down, Stay Down.
(She is such a great songwriter)

Love,
Amanda

No comments: